Every First Friday of the month many art studios and businesses in downtown Elizabeth City are open from 4:00 pm until 7:00 PMish for our First Friday ArtWalk! Guest artists along with food and music abound as businesses remain open later and the downtown streets come to life.
Come down to see all of our local creativity; stay to dine or sip at one of our 24 independently owned pubs, coffee shops, and restaurant options downtown.
“First Friday ArtWalk started under the creative leadership of Natalie Peel in February of 2011 with three participants – Arts of the Albemarle, Red Rabbit Art Gallery, and The City Wine Sellar,” said Deborah Malenfant, Executive Director of Elizabeth City Downtown, Inc. “”Never in a million years would I have imagined it would still be rolling 12 years later with 45 participants!”
“This shows the strength of our entrepreneurial and arts culture in Downtown Elizabeth City,” said Malenfant. “It’s absolutely amazing to be part of and it’s a whole vibe.”
Highlights for the October 6th First Friday ArtWalk include:
Open House and tours of Betsy Town Flats apartments (Main Building); Ribbon Cutting/Open House of new ECDI office at the Flora Robinson Home; Free sailboat rides on the Pasquotank Harbor (weather permitting); Culmination of SPLASH week festivities with artist and music showcases; multiple live music options during and after ArtWalk; many jewelry artists; an artist meetup; face painting; crystals; astrology readings; live painting demonstrations; balloon twisting; race the rower competitions; book signings; plein air painting; candles and more candles; and various other artists, creatives, and artisans.
The “Harbor Hopper,” ECDI’s SMV transport vehicle will be out and about a little later due to the 4:00 pm ribbon cutting.
For more info about First Friday ArtWalk, visit the Elizabeth City Downtown, Inc. Facebook page or call 252-338-4104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full rundown of all the October 6 First Friday ArtWalk activities:
- Elizabeth City Downtown, Inc., Ribbon Cutting/Open House at the new ECDI office, Flora Robinson Home, 201 E. Main St. in partnership with the Flora Robinson Home LLC and the Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Betsy Town Flats, 306 N. Road Street, Open house/tours of former main school building on the new residential campus (306 N. Road Street). You will be able to see the transformation of the entryway and hallways and visit some apartment units. Park and enter on N. Road Street, NOT annex.
- Sailboat Rides on the Pasquotank Harbor provided by Dan Smith, Maritime Ministries, Waterfront Park, 508 S. Water. If you’ve never seen views of the Elizabeth City scape from the Harbor, now’s your chance to take a quick jaunt out into the harbor on a captained sailboat (30 mins). No registration req’d. Weather permitting. *Last sail at 6:30 pm.
- Wandering the streets … the Seussical cast from COA’s Theatre Department.
- Shut Up & Listen Records, 610 E. Fearing, Live music with Josh & Emeline Lancaster, 5-7 pm; Artist Mystic “A” Crystals.
- Electric Garden, 608 E. Fearing, Artist to be Announced.
- Lazzy Frog, 603 E. Fearing, Shae Scott, SAS Designs – Custom Home Signs and Custom Gifts.
- **Eclectic Jewelry & Design, 513 E. Fearing, Pam Meding of Sound Life Craft with wreaths and more. Also Splash Artist Gail Lane with Stained Glass Art and also has fused glass.
- *Katie Sullivan Master Esthetician at True Images Salon, 217 S. Poindexter, eARThy Designs by Robby Goodman.
- Page After Page Bookstore & The Candy Bar, 104 S. McMorrine, Tre’von Griffin, an artist of multiple mediums.
- Muddy Waters Coffee, 100 W. Main, Local ceramics Fri Oct 6th, 3-6pm! Come meet local artist, Virginia Kinnard and grab a beautiful handmade item.
- Pine & Porch, 105 E. Colonial, Mark Brothers with pen color artwork.
- All The Things, 210 N. Martin Luther King, Featured artist Joni Gibson.
- Tooley’s Tavern at the Boathouse, 400 E. Colonial, Halloween theme — Paul Holland, makeup artist showing off his talents as a zombie Boathouse Pirate. Gold candy coins to all kids. Balloon twisting by Miss Sherry; Elizabeth City Rowing Club Race a Rower event.
- Crank’s Shoe Repair, 509 E. Colonial, Creator/owner Ernest Banks and artworks of William C. Hoffman.
- Viking Sound Studios, 202 N. Poindexter, Book launch for Victoria Phelps, Music by the ukulele group, *3-8 pm Music at the upstairs artisan showcase at 7 Sounds.
- Kin’Folk Axe Throwing, 206 N. Poindexter, Face Painting by Allison in Wonderland.
- Ghost Harbor Brewing Company, 602 E. Colonial, LaurieB Artworks with acrylic paint pour art with canvas, coasters, jewelry, bags, pillows, glasses, keychains, bookmarks, wooden tabletops, clocks; Live music with Delta Blues (Cole & Mary Ann) 8-11 pm.
- Pailin’s Alley, 606 e. Colonial, EZJ Beadworks.
- Juniper Cocktail, 606 E. Colonial (Pailin’s Alley), The art of Kirsten Durren and son Mason Durren.
- Lily Pad Pottery, 201 N. Water, The Gypsy Shack and Silly Little Goose Designs.
- **Seven Sounds Brewing Company, 112 N. Water, Art as Therapy by Kara Miller – Resist Painting activity; Banned Books Awareness w/ Page After Page Bookstore; Art Show in the event venue hosted by The Albemarle Regional Paint Out Pals (4-8) featuring 21 artists, as well as 8 musicians organized by Moriah Cruz, Viking Sound Studios, including 3-4:00 – MLove, R&B vocalist, 4-5:00 – Paula Pressnell, pianist, 5-5:30 – Gabbi Chandler, pianist, 5:30-6:00 – Luke, Moriah, Will, jamz, 6-6:30 – Michael Yu, folk, 6:30-7:00 – Aidyn Rauth, vocalist, 7-7:30 – Larry Pressnell, guitar/singer, 7:30-8:00 – Casey Colson, guitar/vocalist; 7 Sounds Live Music by ((O))POSSUM from 7-9
- Studio 511, 116 N. Poindexter, Drop the kids off for fun leaf print art and games with Hope. Pizza and drink included $15 each. 5:00-7:00pm. Guitarist, Frank Allweil will be outside strumming his guitar.
- Harbor Treatz, 112 N. Poindexter, Grand unveiling of Candy Crush Competition’s third entry by Elizabeth City Downtown. Check out the masterpiece creation and vote.
- Ives Alley, Poindexter St. Behind AoA, Flood the Streets music event- performance party in the alley, organized by Ellen Minton.
- Big Boss Burrito, 114 N. Poindexter, 252 jewelry and resin by Jenna; Frarbear’s Kinda Famous Hot Sauce.
- Harbor Centre, 606 E. Main, Jewelry by Lily.
- Harbor Pharmacy, 606 E. Main, Missy Sawyer with Shiloh Soap Co. She will have a variety of handmade soaps, candles and oyster shell decor.
- The Kraken Coffee House, 615 E. Main, Cake by the Ocean creative drink feature in celebration of Jade Whale’s 2nd Downtowniversary.
- Cozy Carolina Boutique, 105A S. Water, USCG Spouses Club.
- *Cypress Creek Grill, 113 S. Water, Artist Jennifer Ryan live painting starting at 6 pm in the dining room. The painting will be raffled with proceeds donated to Albemarle Hopeline.
- Kitchen Kuriosities, 613 E. Main, “Funny Flower Design Co.” Handmade flower pots and more.
- Port Discover, 611 E. Main, Artist: Lina Bateman; Upstairs: Teen Center in STEM lab open for games. 5-7 pm; free event with snacks available to purchase; outside drinks/food. Downstairs: Parents Night out for members only. Registration req’d. Drop-off STEAM program for kids age 4-10. $10 first child, $5 additional siblings; STEAM activity, Pizza, drinks, snacks provided. Drop off 5:00 pm; Pick up $7:00 pm; Register at www.portdiscover.org. 252-338-6117.
- In Stitches, 607 E. Main, Artist Kaleigh Booker, streetside.
- *Jade Whale Co., 605 E. Main, 2nd “Downtowniversary” celebration; Spooky Night In from 8:00-9:30 pm.
- Sanctuary Design Co., 601 E. Main, Wendy Jewett Original Watercolors.
- Bijoux Vibes, 104 S. Poindexter (upstairs), Clay for Chloe by Haylie Colson.
- *Rick Anderson Fitness, 515 E. Main, Lindsay Doughty – Handmade ceramics, soaps, bath bombs, and rugs; Colonial Quilt Guild.
- The Sweet Easy Bakery, 507 E. Main (Inside Virginia Dare Arcade), Featuring Nail Artist Holly from Fringe Society Salon.
- Elizabeth City Pizza Co., 507 E. Main, Collins Clay Co., handmade fall earrings.
- Copper Canyon, 507 E. Main, Fall Candle release.
- Small Town Trendz, 510 E. Main, Tenley Colbert with Honey Beeds Jewelry by Tenley. Crafty Cabana with embroidered plushies and gifts. Wicked Candles.
- 2 Souls Wine Bar, 512 E. Main, Live Music with Jada Zabric, 6:30-9:30 pm.
- Arts of the Albemarle, 516 E. Main, Book signing with K.W. Poulter, Jr. for a signing of Nightmare Trials; Pop-up Sale with Dorothy Ansell, Betty Lowe and Kazuko Fuller; Barbara Wachter: Breaking Rules Opening Reception; Culmination of Splash Week activities.
- Divine Illumination, 400 S. Water, Private Astrology Readings with Johnny Barnett. Book ahead to ensure spot $25.
- SAGOS on the River, 400 S. Water, RT Johnson Live music, 7:30-10:30 pm.
- Museum of the Albemarle, 501 S. Water, 7:30 pm Beer 4 Cheer Fundraiser, floating and ticketed event, but open to anyone who wants to buy a tickets.
* New Business/First Time Participant or “Downtowniversary”