Another free admission day is coming up at Wright Brothers National Memorial, season ORV routes go into effect in Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and there’s a volunteer opportunity this weekend at Fort Raleigh National Historic Site.
All that and more from this week’s Cape Chronicle e-newsletter:
- Wright Brothers National Memorial, and all National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee, will offer free admission on Saturday, April 22. The fee-free day marks the start of National Park Week.
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore seasonal off-road vehicle (ORV) routes in front of the villages and the Ocracoke Campground become pedestrian-only starting this Saturday, April 15. These seasonal ORV routes are open every year between Oct. 15 and April 14. For current beach access information, go to go.nps.gov/beachaccess.
- Fort Raleigh National Historic Site seeks assistance from anyone who may have information associated with recent cases of vandalism and theft. [News Release]
- National Park Service staff at Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site and Wright Brothers National Memorial, are finalizing early season educational programming schedules. Once finalized, the schedules will be listed in future issues of the Cape Chronicle newsletter and on park websites.
- Text OBXBeachConditions to 77295 to sign up for beach-related weather and ocean condition alerts. Learn about beach and ocean safety at www.
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
Park Day Volunteer Beach Cleanup
- Date: Saturday, April 15 from 10 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Location: Etheridge Point Beach Access (Pear Pad Road)
- Details: Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, in partnership with American Battlefield Trust and Outer Banks Forever, will host a beach cleanup at Etheridge Point, the park’s soundside beach access. Meet at 10 a.m. to participate in a short presentation about the Civil War Battle of Roanoke Island and the nearby location of a former Civil War camp. All volunteers are encouraged to wear thick-soled footwear, gloves and comfortable work clothing. For more information, contact Tom Avery at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Ocracoke Light Station 200th Anniversary Event
- Date: Thursday, May 18 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Location: Ocracoke Light Station
- Details: The public is invited to the Ocracoke Light Station for a special 200th anniversary event. The event will feature several speeches, activities, a birthday cake and more. Outer Banks Forever, the Seashore’s official philanthropic partner, plans to livestream the event for those who cannot attend. Text Ocracoke to 333111 to receive text alerts about the anniversary and educational programming events.
Text NPSOBX to 333111 for park text alerts
Text CAHAORV to 333111 for beach access text alerts
For more information on the three parks that make up the Outer Banks Group, visit www.nps.gov/caha, www.nps.gov/fora and www.nps.gov/wrbr. OBX Forever is the official philanthropic partner for these three national park sites.